Wednesday, November 14, 2018

How Weird Al Yankovic was a Huge Influence on Me

Earlier this year, Jamie and I hurried down to Hollywood to see Weird Al get his star on the Walk of Fame. I'd never done that before, and there are few for whom I'd take that sort of time. 
The reason for this was evident when we accidentally went the week before and saw Jennifer Garner get her star right next to where his would be. (I had gotten the date wrong.) As we drove away, the person speaking at the event said, "Jennifer Garner is better than all of us." No joke, those were the woman's exact words.

What I have always loved about Weird Al is that he's outside all that Hollywood bullshit. Beyond being just a satirist, he's always provided an alternative to what we're told is supposed to be important, while not playing into the childish "conform to nonconformity" either. He's shown that it's okay to be different, to be smart, to be "weird." While much of that may seem obvious, it wasn't obvious to many as I was growing up.

In the '80s,just knowing how to run a computer got you labeled as a nerd and unworthy of popularity. God forbid you should be creative and interested in intellectual pursuits. Even being into Weird Al's music was considered lowbrow. It's a much different, and much better world today; one where differences are more celebrated and intelligence is a bit more appreciated.

But Al got me through a lot of lonely times, despite being seemingly nothing more than a comedian copying other people's music. It was simply the image of "being weird and oddball and different is okay" that was so important to me. So for that I can't think of anyone better to have gotten this star. I'll be sure to step all over it in the coming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment