Wednesday, July 7, 2021

In RPG Storytime, the Game is Like the Writers’ Room

 For my series RPG Storytime, I take stories generated out of role playing games, and I make narrated videos and podcasts out of them.  The finished videos tell the stories like audio books or radio dramas.  I tried to tape the games live, but some of my players were shy, and ultimately I’m just not good at improv, so I don’t think they would have come out very good.  I’ve also fixed some dramatic elements before telling the story, so they wind up better.

As a result, an interesting thing has come to my attention.  This method I use makes the role playing game itself the writers’ room.  Rather than the players being performers, like they are in other RPG shows, they are my fellow writers.



No comments:

Post a Comment